Saturday, December 30, 2006

Swedish Thursday Lunch

Thursday, 21 Sep. Stockholm



I went back to Stockholm from Tallinn by ferry. This time I cruised with Tallink. Not many people were on the boat. Still they had a midnight show on the boat, so I went to see. They had Estonian Dance Show at the lounge. About twenty boys and girls danced with 80’s pops. They all were wearing pretty flashy costume and full of smiles, and the choreography looked old-fashioned. Yes, of course, it was 80’s pops dance show. I felt like going back to 20 years ago really.

Then I met my friend for lunch in the center of Stockholm. We went to a cafeteria in the Stockholm cultural center which was located by the center square. So we got a good view of the square and a tall glass-made monument through the glass window. They had a selection of daily specials for lunch. My friend told me that Pea soup and pancakes were standard lunch for Thursday. How come?
‘I don’t really know why. Anyway, they don’t have to think about the menu on Thursday. So it would be good for them’ my friend goes.
Right. So I should try that standard.



It might look so sweet, but actually it was not really. The cream was less sweet so it went good with some jam. Many of the guests were eating this menu indeed. It looked kind of cute to see many middle aged guys were happily eating pancakes with plenty of cream and jam.

I was planning to stay in Sweden for 10 days. I had not planned where I would go before I started this travel. I just made up the plan while staying in Tallinn. I had plenty of time to think about it. I decided to visit Dalarna for 3 days, and Oland for 2 days. Other days, I would visit a couple of towns for a day trip from Stockholm. It was already late September, but still temperature was quite high and weather was also good. It was like summer, even it was supposed to be off season in Sweden.

‘You would be the only traveler if you go to the other area in Sweden’ my friend said.
Really? Youth Hostels in Stockholm are pretty much packed now, and the weather is still so nice. I have seen so many travelers everywhere in Europe even if it was off season. Traveler never stop traveling, so I don’t think so.

My friend was right. People don’t travel in off season in Sweden, regardless the weather. I was almost only traveler outside Stockholm.

3 comments:

Hanna said...

I just love the pictures you've posted in your blog! Is there any way I could use som of them for a collage?

miyuki said...

Hi hanna,

Thanks for the message. I appreciate that you enjoyed my pics. What kind of collage will you make? I am interested in seeing them once you have done.
I am getting lazy these days, butI will post some other pics soon...

Anonymous said...

Thanks very nice blog!
my webpage > rent apartments in santa monica