Sunday, November 26, 2006

Viking Line

11 Sep. 2006 From Stockholm to Helsinki



In the evening, I took a ferry to get to Helsinki where I was supposed to meet my friend from Japan and we would travel together for a week. 2 Companies, Silja Line and Viking Line, are operating ferries to both ways between Stockholm and Helsinki daily. I chose cruising with Viking Line, because it was a bit cheaper.

I thought it was right choice when I left Stockholm for Helsinki. The port of the Viking Line is located in the North Eastern pier of Sodermalm from where you could see the city view of Stockholm. So, once the boat departs, you can see Stockholm fading away in the distance. This is kind of a pleasure of travel, don’t you think? Silja Line departs from the other part of the city so you wouldn’t see it. I only stayed in Stockholm for 4 days and more than that, I was going to come back soon. But this scenery made me a bit sentimental.


I was out on the deck for about one hour. There are literally thousands of islands in this area, so I still didn’t see open sea. I enjoyed beautiful sunset, then went back inside. The Ferry was quite gorgeous with some restaurants, cafes, dutyfree shops, sauna, night clubs, a pub and discotheque, so you can play all night long if you want. As a matter of fact, Young people party hard during weekend on the boat, I have heard. But it was a weekday night, so it was rather quiet when I was there.

No comments: