Saturday, November 25, 2006

Sigtuna & Viby

10 Sep. 2006 Sigtuna & Viby



It is a perfect day for a day out! What a blue sky with no clouds! The breeze was a bit cooler but it was just like a beautiful summer day. I went to Sigtuna where is one of the oldest villages in Sweden located about 1 hour away from Stockholm by train and bus. Out of the window of the local bus to Sigtuna, all I could see was green fields and blue sky.

I got so excited when I got off the bus at Sigtuna. Very cute! Sigtuna is a tiny old town with pastel color houses and shops. The scenery there was very colorful with those houses, clear blue of the lake and sky, and vivid green of trees.



I went around the town, had lunch at a small cafĂ©. I found Pyttipanna which is popular Swedish snack – stir fried diced potatos, onions, sausages and hams topped with sunny side up. Having Swedish foods as many as possible was my mission. Then I headed for a 1700’s old village Viby. That was a little nice walk for about 30 minutes from Sigtuna. I started with walking along the lake side path. The view from the path was breathtaking.






Then you will find an unpaved path in the middle of nowhere.



I didn’t see anybody on this path. I became unsure if I had come in the right direction, but suddenly I found wooden fences and reddish old shacks. Over the field, there was a left over May Pole for midsummer festival. Wow, this is very Swedish!





The village is very old and isolated. There are only a few old houses, but some families are still living in those old houses. I saw a family with a little baby busy with farming and washing. Other than them, there was nobody. It was very calm and peaceful afternoon. How lucky I was being in such a peaceful beautiful place in Sweden.

No comments: