Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Mora on Sunday

Sunday, 24 Sep. Rattvik - Mora



Weather forecast had said that it was going to be gray sky. Yes it was, when I looked up the sky through the window in the morning. But it was getting better and better while I took a walk to the little white church by the lake. I was planning to go to Mora by bus. While walking, I saw a white horse grazing in the meadow with a red wooden barn. That scenery was very Swedish to my eyes.

Have you heard of Princess Cake? It is called prinsessbakelse in Swedish. It is a typical Swedish cake covered with green marzipan, whipped cream, jam and almond paste inside. It would be one of the reasons for the large amount of consumption of almond in Sweden. Cake covered by marzipan sounds and actually looks pretty sweet, but less sweet than I thought. I was very interested in this cake so I was not able to stop trying every time I found this. Each bakery had different taste of course. While waiting for the bus to Mora, I dropped in a bakery near the station and had a piece of princess cake again. I had some in Stockholm too but this one had better taste and much cheaper. This is very Swedish photo for me too.



Maybe taking a train would be much much faster and it would cost less, but I wanted to go there by bus to see smaller villages on the way. It was right choice. The local bus went through white birch woods stopping at several villages, so I was able to see a bit of every life there. I like going slow. This kind of stuff is my joy of travel.



After an hour, I arrived at Mora. Mora is rather big town compared to other villages in this region, well, it is still small and quiet, though. The bus driver slightly smiled at me and said ‘welcome to Mora’.



I walked down the small main street. There were only few people in town and most of shops were closed. Of course, it was Sunday. There was a camp site and a small canal in town also. Next to the camp site, there was craft shop district. All the shops were closed again. Mmm, nothing to do actually, but just walk around this pretty quiet town was relaxing. I happened to find a nice little path along the river, so I went.

No comments: